Wednesday 16 October 2013

Caught short in the land of the Pharaohs





Place :    Egypt.
              Nile Delta.

Aircraft:  Turbo Thrush.

Duty:        Crop Spraying


This is the short story about a wee 15 minute incident

It's mid morning, temperature is around 85F to 95F degrees  and the relative humidity is high as always in the mornings on the delta.

The heat haze is such that we navigate from minaret to minaret that stick up in the haze and we are able to fly from village to village using them, in the poor visibility.

Every now and again I would pull up out of the haze and look around to see if any other aircraft are in my zone.
The haze is about 200 feet thick and you can easily, see down through it from 200 hundred feet above it, the danger of collision, are very real in haze,

we are all flying around at about the same height  at 150 mph, so one must be careful. don't you agree?  

Okay lets get back to my true but humorous event?

I'm on my way back to my strip.

When that familiar moving pain, started to move about in my tummy, expanding probing about, for an outlet!

I knew that if I didn't land right now! I was going to poop my pants in a right royal style?

I was aware that a strip was just in front of me,
so I pushed the prop into full fine killing the forward speed, as she came under 100 mph! I dropped the flaps, she tried to rear up on me as the speed dropped off and I held the nose down to keep flying speed.

I saw the strip off to my left and side sliped over to it.
If for some reason I can't land here? and have to return to my strip, to put it crudely, I will be in deep shit. excuse the pun?

As I came over the end of the strip at around about 12 feet, I slip the prop into reverse pitch, by the time I contacted the ground I was stopped,

I stepped on the brakes just to create a wee bump mark in front of the main wheels, which would stop her rolling, if she decided to? then it was brakes on and locked,
Oh! I'm not going to make it? better run.

I jumped out of the aircraft, wet wipes in hand! pulling all my zips on my flight suit and ripping it off!
by the time I squatted down in the corn crop I was down to my boxers and a T shirt and flight boots.

Of course everything happened right there and then.
I'd made it! no problems?

In fact after a minute or two as I cleansed myself, a feeling of well being came over me, as I squatted there in the cool of the canopy of the corn leaves, feeling quite smug with myself.

Then I took my first look about and there! not more than 10 feet away sat an Arab women pulling weeds out of the crop, she just seemed to ignore me.
I turned away and pulled my kit on again, I do believe I was blushing profusely,  well anyway My cheeks felt hot.

As I went to walk away I placed some Egypt money on a plant in plain sight  and as our eyes met again I thought I saw the hint of a smile in those big brown eyes.

I just hurried away and got back on board and flew back to my strip.

end of story.

Way to go! wet wipes!
                        
Agman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy Please leave a comment. Thank you.